Tickets for young people
We know that when you're growing up every penny counts, which is why we offer a range of excellent value, money-saving ticket types and travel schemes for young travellers across a number of regions on the Arriva Bus UK network.
You can explore our list of discounted fares and passes for young travellers by region below. Please note that age restrictions vary by ticket type/travel scheme so check the terms and conditions and make sure you meet the requirements before you apply.
Tickets for young people in our regions
North East - The Teen Card
Maximum £1 Single fare... Anywhere
The Teen Card is a must for all young people living in the North East. It allows reduced price travel on almost all Arriva North East services at off-peak times and during most non-school days.
- Available for any young person up to the age of 18 (inclusive).
- Teen Cards can be used up until the day before the passenger's 19th birthday.
- Valid on Arriva services starting/finishing in the North East area, except for X93 services (between Guisborough and Whitby), Dalesbus, Moorsbus and Whitby Park and Ride services.
- Valid after 6pm on Monday to Friday and at any time on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
- You will also be able to use your card after 9am during most school holidays.
- Teen Card holders are only charged at half the adult fare or £1, whichever is lower.
Tyne & Wear - Nexus Under 16 Pop Card
Children can travel at discounted child fares all day, every day on all public transport in Tyne and Wear if they have an Under 16 Pop card.
Under 16 Pop cards are available to all children who live in Tyne and Wear who are in year 11 and below at school. So if you or your child is aged between 5 and 15 on the 31st August before the start of the current academic year, they will be eligible.
Find out more about the Nexus Under 16 Pop Card here.
North West - 16 Plus Card
The 16 Plus photocard is available to anyone aged between 16 and 21, entitling the holder to discounted travel on Arriva bus services in Merseyside and Lancashire for one year (£1.80 flat fare, single trip).
Wales - MyTravelPass
The Welsh Assembly Government backed MyTravelPass (fy ngherdyn teithio) entitles all young persons aged 16 to 21 inclusive to receive one third discounted fares on all Arriva services.
The following tickets are therefore discounted:
- Single tickets
- Return tickets where applicable
- Arriva Buses Wales Day Saver tickets
- Arriva Buses Wales Weekly Saver tickets
Simply apply for your pass, then show your driver each time you board.
Milton Keynes - All in 1 MK Card
Under 19 and want great value, discounted travel in Milton Keynes? Our NEW reduced fares mean even more savings when you travel, with single fares as low as £1, weekly tickets only £8.50 and 4-weekly travel for as little as £27!
Your application needs to be certified by your school/college and they will send the completed form to the Bus Card Section at Milton Keynes Council. If you are not in education or employment then your form can be certified by the Youth Advice & Guidance Service (part of Community Learning MK); they can be contacted on 01908 254410.
The All in 1 MK card will be sent to you within 7-10 days of receipt of your application.
If you are younger than 12 when you apply, your card will expire when you are 12. You can apply for a replacement up to two weeks before you are 12. This card will expire the day before you turn 19.
If you have a pass with an expiry date on your 16th birthday (issued at the time when the card was only available to those in full-time education), your card will expire when you are 16. You can apply for a replacement from three weeks before you are 16. This card will expire the day before you turn 19.
Milton Keynes Council will not refund bus fares incurred while applications for new or replacement passes are being processed.
Terms and conditions apply.
Kent - Young Person's Travel Pass
The Young Person's Travel Pass (YPTP) is a school term ticket which is subsidised by Kent County Council. The ticket allows children aged 11 to 16 to use the pass to get to school on Arriva buses in Kent.
Additional freedoms introduced on Arriva buses
YPTP holders are now able to use their passes to travel during the evenings, weekends and during school holidays when travelling on any Arriva buses in Kent.
So once you've used it to go to and from school, now you can go out:
- After school in the evening
- Any time during the weekend and bank holidays
- Right through the school holidays
And all at no extra cost!
- Please note that this is a joint initiative between Kent County Council and Arriva and the pass doesn't apply to the Medway Council area or Surrey.
- Bus pass holders living in Kent can travel to and from Medway if one end of their journey is in Kent.