New College Durham bus travel
Our bus services offer a cheap, reliable and quick way for students to get around. Plus you can travel for even less if you take advantage of our academic year travel ticket scheme.
Arriva runs several bus services connecting Durham with the surrounding area.
Destinations include Durham city centre, Adventure Valley, Sherburn, Maryoaks, Broompark and other areas and villages.
Arriva bus routes in Durham:
- 6, 7
- 22, 24, X24
- 43, X46, 48, 49, 49A
- 56, 57, 57A
- 61, 62, 64
For a full list of services, check out Our services in Durham map
Subsidised travel from the college
Do you receive subsidised travel from New College Durham? If so, you'll receive your new Connect Card through the post before the beginning of the term. This gives you subsidised travel valid in term time only, Monday to Friday.
Upgrade your Arriva Connect Card
Would you like to travel evenings, weekends and during all holidays for only 39p a day? Simply top up your Arriva Connect Card and travel anytime throughout the North East up until the end of the academic year.
What do I need to do to upgrade?
To upgrade your Arriva Connect card to travel anytime simply set up a monthly direct debit payment online for only £14 per month.
- You can choose to upgrade your Smart Card on the 1st or the 15th of the month.
- Please note that the nearest available payment date will be automatically selected for you.
- If you require your Direct Debit date to be later, please contact the Student department to arrange this. Details are below.
Direct Debit Terms and Conditions
- Direct debit payments are taken on the 1st or 15th of each month, dependent on date of application
- For payments on the 1st your tickets will be dispatched thereafter and commence on 12th of the month
- For payments on the 15th your tickets will be dispatched thereafter and commence on 27th of each month
- Dependent on your payment date your monthly ticket will expire at midnight on the 11th or 26th of the following month
- Your next ticket will automatically be sent directly to your home or registered m-ticket app every month before the current expire, as long as your DD remains active
- Your payment will remain the same each month unless we notify otherwise
- Annual tickets paid via direct debit form a rolling contract, these tickets will not expire until instructed to do so via your bank.
- This scheme is valid for passengers travelling on Arriva buses, and tickets are valid in the zone chosen only
- If your direct debit fails or is cancelled, you will not receive your ticket for the following month
- Please report lost tickets to [email protected] immediately, a replacement ticket will be sent to you and a fee of £25 will be added to your next direct debit
- Tickets are valid for students in full time education (school, 6th form, college, university, etc).
- Tickets are valid on any Arriva bus in the stated zone with no time or day restrictions.
- Parents or guardians can set up the Direct Debit on behalf of the student (please enter the student's name in the relevant field for the direct debit mandate).
- You will be notified if the price increases or decreases, in line with the annual ticket pricing.
- No refunds will be given
- If you need to cancel your direct debit, please cancel it directly with your bank - they will normally require 7-10 working days to process a cancellation. Please note that any payments taken within this cancellation timeframe are not eligible to be refunded.
- Arriva will not accept responsibility for cancelling direct debits
- Cancellation of your direct debit requires 7 to 10 working days’ notice with your bank
- If your payment is due to be taken within the required notice period (and you have requested your direct debit to be cancelled too late), your ticket will still be sent to you and cannot be refunded
- We do not accept used/unused/unwanted tickets
Contact the Arriva Student Department
Plan my journey
Find my bus
Arriva Bus UK app
Plan bus journeys, get live updates and buy m-tickets all in one place!