Arriva UK Bus signs up to the Armed Forces Covenant
Arriva UK Bus is proud to announce that it is signing the Armed Forces Covenant to support all Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reservists, Veterans and their families.
Nearly 2,000 businesses and charities have signed the Armed Forces Covenant with the number of employers in the network continuing to grow across a range of industry sectors.
The Armed Forces Covenant is a promise that those who serve or have served, and their families, are treated fairly and face no disadvantage in accessing public or private services.
Arriva is working with the Ministry of Defence and Veterans UK to support past and present Service Personnel through its services, policies and projects. The Covenant commits Arriva UK Bus to do the following:
- Promote the fact that it is an Armed Forces-friendly organisation;
- Seek to support the employment of Veterans through working with the military resettlement organisations in order to establish tailored employment pathways and training for Service Leavers;
- Support the employment of ex-Service Personnel by offering a guaranteed interview for suitable vacancies providing the minimum requirements are met;
- Seek to support our employees who choose to be members of the Reserve forces by accommodating their training and deployment where possible; and
- Actively participate in Armed Forces Day
The skills and training that Reservists and Service Leavers bring can bring to Arriva include nationally recognised business and technical qualifications, as well as desirable “softer” transferable skills such as leadership, team working, strategy and problem-solving.
Kevin O’Connor, UK Bus Managing Director, said:
“Arriva UK Bus is a significant employer in the UK with over 16,000 people. Many of the roles across our organisation require a skillset that overlaps with those that are required in the armed forces, whether it be vehicle maintenance through to leading a large team. Signing the Armed Services Covenant demonstrates our commitment to supporting our people and attracting and retaining the very best employees.”
Tony Fish, Regional Employer Engagement for the Reserve Forces’ and Cadets’ Association (RFCA), said:
“We’re delighted Arriva UK Bus has committed to supporting the employment of Reservists and Service Leavers, which will make an important difference to their everyday lives. We are looking forward to working with Arriva and building on this strong, positive, relationship.”