Travelling around Wythenshawe
An area with a history that began in the 9th century, it’s believed that Widnes came about following the Viking invasion of Britain. Sitting at the extreme south of the Danelaw, the origin of the town’s name comes from the Danish word ‘vid’ and ‘noese’, which means wide nose. It’s thought that this refers to the promontory projecting into the River Mersey, where the town sits on the northern bank.
Operating a number of transport links, Widnes is well-served via both rail and road. Arriva buses provide a number of services to Liverpool, Warrington, St Helens and other nearby towns.
First mentioned in 1316, Wythenshawe is notable for being influenced by the Tatton family, who shaped the area from the mid-1300s for around 550 years. Records show the area as mainly used for small scale farming, starting around the mid-1500s.
In 1926, Manchester Council bought 2,500 acres of the area from the Tatton family to develop Wythenshawe and build ‘homes for heroes’ following the Great War. The majority of the development happened after World War Two, however, when it eventually became one of Europe’s largest estates.