Student and Young Persons' Saver
We know that paying for bus travel is not a high priority for young people, so we have a range of great value tickets allowing you to get around as cheaply and easily as possible.
Our Student and Young Persons' Saver tickets are available to anyone up to the age of 19 or in full time education. All of the tickets are valid all day every day and offer unlimited travel on all Arriva North East services (except where stated) in the specified zones. This includes evenings, weekends and half-term holidays, so they're great for both work and play! Click here for a map of all our Student and Young Persons' Saver ticket zones.
Buy one day and weekly tickets from your bus driver, or buy one day, weekly, 15-week and full Academic Year tickets online or as an m-ticket. You may be asked for proof of age when buying and using these tickets, and this can be a valid Teencard or Student ID card. If you are under 19 years of age and you don't have a Student ID card, you can apply for an Arriva Teencard by clicking here.
How to Buy
You can buy one day and weekly Student and Young Persons' Saver tickets on the bus and pay with cash or a contactless credit/debit card.
You can buy one day, weekly, 15-week and full Academic Year tickets online and pay by credit/debit card, PayPal or Direct Debit. You can choose to receive your ticket by post or via the Arriva m-ticket app. However, Academic Year tickets paid for by Direct Debit are only available on Smartcards.
All Student and Young Persons' Saver tickets are available to buy via Arriva m-ticket app, which is free to download. Your ticket will be ready to use as soon as you activate it.
Spread the cost of Annual tickets and pay monthly by Direct Debit. You choose when you want your payments to begin, and they will be taken on either the 1st or the 15th of the month.
North East Regionwide Student and Young Persons' Saver
Our Regionwide Student and Young Persons' Saver gives you unlimited travel on all Arriva North East services, except Dalesbus, Moorsbus and Whitby Park & Ride.
|One Day||Weekly||15 Weeks||Academic Year||Annual|
|North East Regionwide Saver||£5.50||£22.00||£300.00||£799.00||£825.00|
Northumberland and Tyne & Wear Student and Young Persons' Saver
Northumberland and Tyne & Wear Student and Young Persons' Saver offers a range of great value tickets for travel around this area, which includes Newcastle, Ashington, Bedlington, Blyth, Cramlington, Hexham, Morpeth, North Shields and Whitley Bay.
The area is split into zones, and the price you pay depends on the number you travel through. Tickets are available for 1 Zone, 2 Zones and the whole counties of Northumberland and Tyne & Wear. Click here for a map of the zones in this area to see how many you need for your journey, then check the prices in the table. You can pay for one-day, one week, 15 weeks or a full academic year - the longer you buy the more you save!
|One Day||Weekly||15 Weeks||Academic Year||Annual|
|Any 1 Zone||£3.30||£13.90||£204.00||£490.00||£512.00|
|Any 2 Zones||£4.40||£17.50||£255.00||£615.00||£640.00|
|All Northumberland and Tyne & Wear||£5.00||£19.80||£280.00||£670.00||£695.00|
If you buy a ticket that includes the Tyne Valley zone you will receive a paper Student and Young Persons' Saver ticket. This will allow you to use all journeys on Cross Pennine services 685 and X85 in the Tyne Valley zone, including the ones operated by Stagecoach. Please note that Arriva m-tickets and smartcards are not accepted on Stagecoach buses.
If you need to use the Cross Pennine 685 to travel to/from places in Cumbria (including Brampton) you should buy a Regionwide Student and Young Persons' Saver ticket.
Discover North Northumberland
|Day||Week||15 Week||Academic Year||Annual|
|Discover North Northumberland||£3.30||£13.90||£204.00||£490.00||£510.00|
Explore the Northumberland coast and countryside with unlimited travel on all Arriva North East buses around Amble, Alnwick and Berwick.
You can buy and use Discover North Northumberland Student and Young Persons' Saver tickets on the following Arriva North East services:
- X15 between Shilbottle and Berwick
- X18 between Amble (Gloster Park) and Berwick
- X20 between Amble (Percy Drive) and Alnwick
Unfortunately, you cannot buy or use these tickets on any services operated by Glen Valley, Travelsure or Borders Buses.
County Durham Student and Young Persons' Savers
We offer a wide range of tickets covering our extensive network of services in County Durham. Simply choose the best value ticket for the journeys you need to make.
|Day||Week||15 Weeks||Academic Year||Annual|
East Durham Student and Young Persons' Saver gives you unlimited travel on all Arriva North East buses around Hartlepool, Peterlee, Seaham and Sunderland.
Tickets can be used on the following routes:
- 22, Shotton Colliery to Sunderland Interchange
- 23, Hartlepool town centre to Sunderland Interchange
- 24, Haswell (Village and Plough) to Hartlepool Marina
- 57A, Hart Village to Hartlepool town centre
- X21, Station Town to Sunderland Interchange
- X22, Station Town to Peterlee Bus Station
- X24, Haswell Plough to Horden
Durham City tickets are valid on all Arriva North East services within the boundaries of Pity Me, Arnison Centre, Brasside, Belmont, Sherburn Village, High Shincliffe, Cock O'The North, Langley Moor, Broompark and Bearpark.
Durham District tickets are valid in all of the same places as the Durham City ones, and as far as High Pittington (on service 64), Ludworth (on the 24), Ludworth Stile (on the X24), Wheatley Hill (on the 22), Deaf Hill (on the 57A), Sedgefield (on the X12), Rushyford (on the 7), West Auckland (on the 6) and Tow Law (on the X1 and X46). They are also valid throughout services 56 and 57, plus all the way to Newcastle on the X12.
Durham County tickets are valid for any journeys starting and/or finishing in County Durham. They cover the whole of the Darlington Town zone and offer unlimited travel between Darlington and Richmond/Catterick on service X26/X27. Your ticket also includes cross boundary travel to Teesside and Newcastle.
Click here for a map of our services around Durham.
Darlington, Teesside and East Cleveland Student and Young Persons' Savers
We offer an extensive network of services in Darlington, Teesside and East Cleveland. Simply choose the best value ticket for the journeys that you need to make.
|Day||Week||15 Weeks||Academic Year||Annual|
|Teesside and East Cleveland||£4.00||£16.00||£222||£570||£595|
Darlington Town tickets offer unlimited travel on Arriva North East buses within the boundaries of Great Burdon, Beaumont Hill, Faverdale Grange, Blackwell Lane End and Morton Park.
Darlington District tickets cover the whole of the Darlington Town zone, plus unlimited travel from Darlington to Redworth (on service 1/1B), Middridge (on the 5/5A), Rushyford (on the 7, 8 and X21), Hurworth (on the 12), Trees Park Village (on the 12), Richmond/Catterick (on the X26/X27) and Headlam Road End (on the X75/X76).
Teesside and East Cleveland tickets are valid on all Arriva North East services in this area. The boundaries are Stokesley (on services 28A and 81), Runswick Bay (on the X4), Longnewton (on the X66/X67) and Scaling Dam (on the X93).
Teesside tickets are valid on all Arriva North East services in Stockton, Middlesbrough and some parts of Redcar & Cleveland. The boundaries are Thorpe Larches, Longnewton, Swans Corner, Nunthorpe Village, Grangetown and South Lackenby.
Redcar tickets are valid in the Redcar town area up to Dormanstown, Kirkleatham and Upleatham Road End.
Tees Valley tickets offers unlimited travel on all Arriva North East services in Darlington, Teesside and East Cleveland. The boundaries are Scaling Dam and Runswick Bay (in East Cleveland) and Beaumont Hill, Faverdale Grange, Blackwell Lane End and Morton Park (in Darlington).
- You can choose to pay your direct debit on the 1st or the 15th of the month. Please note that the nearest available payment date will be automatically selected for you.
- If you need to cancel your direct debit, please cancel it directly with your bank - they will normally require 7-10 working days' to process a cancellation. Please note that any payments taken within this cancellation timeframe are not eligble to be refunded.
- Please note: Annual tickets paid via direct debit form a rolling contract, these tickets will not expire until instructed to do so via your bank.
- The Academic Year 2019/20 student Smart Card will be sent to your home address if you are paying by the direct debit option.
- The Smart Card is very easy to use - just scan on the ticket machine as you board the bus.
- If your direct debit payment is cancelled or payment returned, Arriva will cancel your Smart Card immediately and you will no longer be able to use it.
- If you lose the Smart Card, there is a £5 replacement fee. This must be paid directly to the student department before a new one is issued.
- If your card is faulty Arriva will replace the card free of charge.
Cancelling your Direct Debit
- If you need to cancel your student ticket, please cancel your direct debit directly with your bank/building society. Arriva will not accept responsibility for cancelling direct debits.
- Cancellation of your direct debit requires 7-10 working days notice.
- If your payment is due to be taken within the required notice period (and you have requested your direct debit to be cancelled too late), your ticket will still be sent to you and cannot be refunded.
Email us at [email protected]