RMC1453 - 453 CLT
Seating capacity : 57 (32 upstairs, 25 downstairs)
Year : 1962
The first production Green Line Routemaster coach introduced in 1962.
A bus made famous by a 1962 London Transport publicity photograph for its new fleet of Green Line Routemaster coaches taken in beautiful leafy surroundings near Wisley Gardens in Surrey whilst working on route 715.
RMC 1453 started work at Hertford garage in August 1962 when the Routemaster coaches replaced single deck RFs on route 715 between Hertford and Guildford.
The bus spent nearly 10 years at Hertford on cross-London Green Line coach work. On 1 January 1970 the 'green bus' operations of London Transport became a separate company, London Country Bus Services, part of the National Bus Company. RMC 1453 was repainted into NBC green and white and grey relief in November 1973, after which it worked on ordinary bus from several garages in Surrey and Essex.
Having avoided a premature end at a Yorkshire scrap yard when London Country Bus Services withdrew its Routemasters, the bus became a driver training vehicle for London Transport.
It took 9 years before the bus was repainted from green to red and after being based at garages in south-west London moved to Stamford Hill in north London in August 1992. It was here that its potential as a private hire vehicle was first recognised and it became a valuable asset to the Leaside Travel fleet.
Like RM 5 and RM 2217, this bus worked on route 159 on the very last day of Routemaster operation in December 2005. Since its adoption into The Arriva Heritage Fleet, it has been seen regularly at corporate events as well as providing transport for couples looking for something a bit different on their wedding day.
In 2013 Arriva joined forces with the National Trust to restore the bus back close to its original Green Line coach condition, although there are some slight differences to suit its current primary use on their tours.