RMC1464 - 464 CLT
Seating capacity : 61 (36 upstairs, 25 downstairs)
Year : 1962 (converted to open top in 1990)
Open-top Routemaster with platform door. This vehicle has been used in many celebration parades.
This bus started work at Guildford, the southern end of Green Line coach route 715 on which RMC 1453 also worked. It was later downgraded to bus work and then to a training bus. A change of fortune came in 1990 when it was converted to open top and returned to its current condition by the engineering team at Norwood Garage. Since then it has appeared at many race meetings, parades and other events. This bus makes an ideal grandstand or control point for your special event.
In its earlier life as a Green Line coach the vehicle was unusual in being based at a red London Transport garage – Riverside where it had the role as a standby coach for all Green Line routes.
With London Country the vehicle worked from a number of garages including Addlestone, Guildford, Windsor, St Albans, Tring and Leatherhead before returning to London Transport ownership in June 1979. The bus spent 11 years as a driver trainer before Norwood garage staff carried out the open top conversion and named it Norwood Princess.
In 1992 it became the only RMC to be fitted with an Iveco engine. In 1995 it moved from Norwood to join the Leaside Travel fleet in north London.In January 2006 the bus returned south to Norwood as an important member of the Heritage fleet.
On Derby day and Ladies day at Epsom she is always popular as a means of transport to and from the event, but also as a fantastic viewing platform for the races.
For the last few years RMC 1464 has featured in the Lord Mayor's Show to celebrate the commitment of Arriva's staff in their charitable giving through Payroll Giving. In this year's show we will be displaying the Gold Award for their efforts this year, and targeting a Platinum award for the year after.