Arriva's journey to 'Destination Green'
It’s all aboard the journey to Destination Green at Arriva North West and Wales as directors make an environmental pledge.
Destination Green involves all Arriva staff taking environment-friendly action and looking for new ways of reducing the company’s impact on the planet’s resources.
Destination Green will help Arriva meet the DB2020 strategy. We have set environmental targets we plan to meet by 2020, based upon a 2013 baseline, such as:
- A 30 per cent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions
- A 30 per cent reduction in annual building energy
- A 30 per cent reduction in annual water consumption
- 30 per cent of the electricity used will be from renewable sources.
Regional health, safety and environmental manager Eddie Rogers said: “We’re working with industry specialists, other Arriva companies and staff, to identify best practice and reduce our impact on the environment.”
Everybody at Arriva contributes towards our environmental impacts, so has a part to play in our journey to Destination Green. Individuals probably know better than anyone else how they can be part of this journey. By making pledges and building on the good things we already do, we can all help make a difference.
The Arriva North West and Wales board of directors have made a joint pledge, which you can see in the photo above.
Destination Green measures already under way include:
- Investigating and trialling low and zero-emission vehicles
- In 2016, we will focus on reducing our water use by at least 10 per cent
- Replacing conventional lighting with very economical LED units
- Installing energy-saving equipment at our new Rhyl redevelopment, such as solar panels, an ultra efficient ‘VRV’ (variable refrigerant volume) heating and cooling system throughout offices and training rooms and a bus wash water recycling unit.
Eddie said “The journey to Destination Green is good for Arriva; we will improve our position as a sustainable business.”
Plan my journey
Find my bus
Arriva Bus UK App
Download the Arriva Bus UK app for live travel information and m-tickets.