Travelling around Bishop’s Stortford
Shaped by the River Stort, Bishop’s Stortford is a pretty market town that offers both riverside walks and excellent transport links. The town’s architecture reflects its history with Edwardian and Victorian cottages sitting alongside more modern developments.
There are castles and museums a-plenty in ‘Stortford’, as it is known by the locals, making it the perfect place for a visit if you’re something of a history lover. Look out too for the selection of galleries and antique shops that allow visitors to take a piece of the area’s heritage away with them.
One of London’s prettiest commuter towns, Bishop’s Stortford has excellent links to the capital with regular trains to London’s Liverpool Street (that take around 30 minutes) and easy access to the M11. And, thanks to Arriva buses, getting from Stortford to Harlow, Thorley Park, Stansted Airport and everywhere in between, couldn’t be easier.
Bishop's Stortford started life as a small Roman settlement on Stane Street. In 1060, William, Bishop of London, bought Stortford Manor and estate for £8, which resulted in the town's modern name. At the time of the Domesday Book, it is thought that the village had a population of around 120. Despite outbreaks of the plague in the 16th and 17th centuries, the town continued to grow, reaching a population size of about 1,200.
During World War II, Bishop's Stortford was the evacuation centre for many Britons, including Clapton Girls Technology College. By 1951, Bishop's Stortford's population had reached 13,000, and its growth as a commuter town continued through the second half of the 20th century. The M11 motorway, Stansted Airport, and rail links to both London and Cambridge have contributed to its rise in population.