Yorkshire (West Riding) Electric Tramways began tram services in the Wakefield area in 1904. Operations in the Castleford area followed in 1906. The West Riding Automobile Company was formed in November 1923 to run motorbus services. West Riding almost doubled in size in 1950 when it bought out a local rival operator J Bullock and Sons.
The Yorkshire Woollen District Transport company developed bus services centred on the Dewsbury area. Both West Riding and Yorkshire Woollen became nationalised, latterly under common management. When the National Bus Company was privatised the management team, as Caldaire, bought West Riding and Yorkshire Woollen. Separate identities were maintained for the two operations and routes in Selby.
The long-established independent operator South Yorkshire Road Transport of Pontefract was acquired in 1994. The group was sold to British Bus in 1995.
Today all operations are under a common ‘Yorkshire’ banner and run from depots in Wakefield, Dewsbury, Heckmondwike, Castleford and Selby.